You are currently viewing A strong overall team performance by the boys

A strong overall team performance by the boys

Through to the Beds Cup Final

Under blustery conditions the Blues made a strong start to the game going through multiple phases unfortunately leading to the loss of the ball due to a penalty against. This then led to a line out and after some nice work to recover the ball, led to Noah K making some good yards up the sideline towards the Biggleswade try line.

At the 10min mark the boys got a penalty advantage with Sam V kicking to the Biggie 5 metres line for a line-out however unfortunately the advantage was lost due to a knock-on. With some heavy rain prior to the start of the game and a slippery ball, this was the first of several handling errors by the boys throughout the game.

The Blues kept the pressure on and in a subsequent scrum the forwards rucked up to the Biggleswade line but were held up resulting in a scrum 5 metres out. With 13mins on the clock, Bode collected the ball and, driving forward, passed to Cade who scored over the line for the first try of the game. Sam V missed this conversion in what was to be difficult windy kicking conditions throughout.

A line-out shortly after the re-start led to a further off-side penalty by Biggleswade with Sam kicking the ball up the pitch for another line-out at the Biggleswade 5 metre line. This was then followed by a scrum again at 5 metres leading to Jacob picking from the back of the scrum and charging over for our 2nd try at 19mins. Sam’s conversion kick was closer this time but still unconverted stretching the Blues led to 10-0.

Straight from the Biggie kick-out came some nice hands by Anton passing onto James who then ran half the field to score under the posts for his first try of what would be fruitful game. Sam successfully drop-kicked the conversion this time for the Blues to extend their lead to 17-0 at the 21min mark.

After more pressure in the Biggleswade last quarter, at 29mins Harley used his strength for a pick up from a ruck to drive the ball over for his first try in a while which was followed by another conversion by Sam to bring the score to 24-0. Just before half time, Biggleswade got up to our line for their best piece of action of the half but some resolute defending by the boys stopped them scoring to keep a clean sheet as we into the break.

The 2nd half started with another spot of Biggies possession which was helped along by a few careless penalties conceded by Blues, however fortunately Biggleswade failed to take any advantage of this to affect the scoreline.

A further period of pressure by Blues down in the Biggies 22 led to a scrum with a Biggleswade put-in at 37 mins. Blues superior scrumming advantage gave us one against the head in front of the posts and the boys regained possession. Following this, a further bout of rucking phases and pressure led to James scoring his second of the day under the posts at 38mins. A lovely conversion for Sam V brought the score to 31-0.

Straight after the start Max charged down the sideline heading for a try only to be thwarted by a strong lone Biggleswade tackle. With no let up, at 43 mins James scored his 3rd of the day with a score over at the corner. Sam’s attempted conversion proved unlucky this time and hit the post – score now 36-0.

At the 50min point and the scrum at the Biggies 5 metre line, 2 phases of Blues rucking let Sam E burst over to score the final points of the game. Wind was causing problems with the ball on the tee leading to Sam’s attempted drop goal being unsuccessful, final score 41-0.

Overall a dominating team performance by the boys with several strong players, restricting the Biggleswade team to just a few opportunities and little possession.

Well played everyone and thanks to the coaches and parents who came along to support.

Match report by Gilbert Mackay.